Sunday, August 11, 2013

Food Prep Party


I'm really working on my nutrition and part of that means being prepared for the unpredictable.  So last Thursday I decided to have a mini "prepping" party for the following week.  I invited Lindsay, she desperately needed an outing with Baby M and my kids where at school...PERFECT timing.  I decided on making enough breakfasts to get through the week.  You know, I just always have a hard time conviencing myself to actually eat breakfast, even though it really is the meal you SHOULDN'T skip.  And I wanted to get a few lunches in, so I could just grab-n-go.

The Menu: 3 Bags of Oatmeal, 2 Cups of Yogurt Parfaits, 3 Large Salads and 3 Small Salads

First up Oatmeal Bags.  I really wanted something all I had to do is put in a bowl and go.  So I made some instant oatmeal bags.  Literally all I have to do is dump it into the bowl, add 1/4 cup milk and microwave for 1 minute.  How much more simple would you like, ya'll?  The Bags where easy to make too.  We made three different flavors: Peaches N Cream, Craisins N Raisins, and Berries N Cream.






 Here is what you'll need:

  • Dry Oats 
  • Raisins 
  • Craisins
  • Dried Fruit of Choice 
  • Non Dairy Coffee Creamer 
  • Granulated Sugar
  • Brown Sugar
  • Salt 
  • Ziplock Bags 



It's super easy to throw together.  Now you're probably wondering why there is a blender in the picture? That's because I like my oatmeal a little bit more thick that what it would normally make.  So add 1/4 cup of dry oats and blend to a very fine texture.  Then you can use 1-2 tsp of this mixture in each baggie to make your oatmeal a bit more thick than usual.  If you don't like it thick...SKIP it! Here is the basic recipe: 


Non "~N Cream" Oatmeal
  • 1/4 Cup Dried Oats
  • 1/8 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Brown Sugar 
  • 2 tsp Powdered Oats
Nutritional Information:     317 Cal     4.5g Fat     62g Carbohydrates     6.5g Dietary Fiber     7.5g Protein     6mg Cholesterol     26mg Sodium     116mg Potassium  
     
"~N Cream" Oatmeal 
  • 1/4 Cup Dried Oats
  • 1/8 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Granulated Sugar 
  • 2 tsp Powdered Oats
  • 1 tsp Non Dairy Creamer
  • 2 tbs Dried Fruit
Nutritional Information:     365 Cal     5g Fat     75g Carbohydrates     5g Dietary Fiber     7.5g Protein     6mg Cholesterol     26mg Sodium     116mg Potassium  


Second item to cross off was Yogurt Parfaits. I really LOVE yogurt but I'm REALLY picky about it and I don't like it every morning.  So if I make it like this I don't have to eat it every day and I still get some yumminess in my week.  



Here is what you'll need: 
  • Dannon All Natural Vanilla Yogurt 
  • Fruit of Choice 
  • Granola of Choice 
  • 8oz Mason Jars 


 Recipe:

  • 6oz (yes use your kitchen Scale)
  • 1/4 Cup Fruit of Choice 
  • 1/4 Cup Granola of Choice
Notes: I like my granola non soggy so I put it in these little "pre-measured"ziplock baggies I found at Target.  They are Up and Up brand and have the measurements right on the bag.  I can then tape the baggie on the top of the lid and add the granola when I actually want to eat the yogurt.  I also like my yogurt thicker. So sometimes if there is a lot of liquid on top of the yogurt (you'll know what I'm talking about when you open the tub) then I strain the yogurt through a mesh kitchen strainer and a few paper towels.  This will however add time to your overall prep time, so take that into consideration. 



Nutritional Information:  337 Calories    4g Fat     68g Carbohydrates     10g Dietary Fiber     66mg Potassium     2.5g Protein     166mg Sodium     5mg Cholesterol


That brings us to the third and last activity for the morning..... Vacuum Sealed Salads. I find that when I vacuum seal the lettuce it lasts twice, sometimes three times as long.  That's good for the gal that doesn't really like salads but knows she should eat them because they are good for her.  This way my 3 salads will last me weeks and I don't have to eat salads back to back everyday to finish the lettuce.  WAHOOOO. 

Here is what you'll need: 
  • Romaine Lettuce (anything else wont last as long)
  • Salad Spinner 
  • Quart or Pint sized Mason Jars 
  • Food Saver Vacuum Sealer
I buy the package of Romaine Lettuce from Costco.  It has 5 small heads in it.  I find it to be just the right size and easy to manage.  We also bought our Food Saver from Costco (seeing a theme here).  We use it ALL the time and is probably the one item that saves us the most money when it comes to food (ok other than couponing, another passion of mine), but that's another long post!! Here's how it goes down....
  • Chop lettuce--> I go down the middle, then down the middle again, then small chops (repeat)

  •  Fill salad spinner with lettuce 


  • Rinse/Wash lettuce 
  • Spin lettuce, attempting to get the lettuce as dry as possible
  • Fill mason jar of choice to the top 
  • Place lid on mason jar

  • Place FoodSaver attachment on jar and plug in 

  • Vacuum out air 
  • Screw on mason jar lid 
  • Repeat for additional jars 
When you get ready to eat the salads you can add in your additional items as you would like.  Think of the possibilities.... tomatoes, cucumbers, nuts, cheese, salad dressings, pre-cooked and reheated chicken or beef strips....really we could go on and on here guys.  

Basically I spent 1 hour in the kitchen and made breakfasts and lunches for the entire week!!! This is what my haul looked like....

I want to thank my beautiful sous chef's and photographer!! Aren't they sweet?! And just think Baby M is only 2 weeks old and is already in the kitchen!!! 


3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your amazing!! I'm inspired and going to try some of your ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret!! Glad you enjoyed it and glad I could influence someone to eat a bit better!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas Steph! That food saver is really cool.

    ReplyDelete