Saturday, March 14, 2015

How We've Survived It All....


Well, as usual it's been over a year since I last logged a new post.  I swear I will try harder.  Most of the time I have a great blog planned in my head, at MIDNIGHT!!! Not exactly great timing, for the mom that LOVES to sleep.

This week was Spring Break here in SATX!! Something many of us dread.  You see the 5 hours Tuesday through Friday that my kids go to pre-school are typically the only hours away from them; especially when Robert is on a rough rotation.  I love them, but man we all need the break occasionally.  I planned Spring Break to a T this year.  Everyday had an activity and the one day that did I was blessed to have a friend invite me to tag along on their activity. About halfway through the week it hit me... this is how we survived it all!!!

This week also marked 100 days (97 days now) until Robert's Graduation from residency! I can't believe it's almost over.  There is a saying in the medical spouse community, "The days are long, but the years are short".  It's so true.  The days are long; many reaching many more hours than a "day" and while the years are long in the beginning, it's amazing how short they can be.  Just 5 short years ago we were planning a medical school graduation (and a new baby).  We were trying to figure out how life would fall into place.  How would we ever be able to survive a 100+ hour work week?  What would residency life look like?  Turns out we are in fact capable of a 100+ work week, however, they are far from my favorite.  We would in fact be able to endure the craziness of residency and all the ups and downs that training for this many years brings.  It hasn't always been easy and it hasn't always been fun, but over all it has been a great experience.  Robert and I grew, watched others grow, and brought two amazing children into this world, therefore I wouldn't have changed these years (short or long) for the world. My advice for anyone following the same route.... It's easy really... FAMILY, FRIENDS and KEEP BUSY!!! Without any of those things I wouldn't have survived.  I constantly keep my family busy with things to do.  There are very few days where there is NOTHING to do.  I search for coupons and groupons and buy passes when they are on sale, so we can have plenty to do while Robert is on rough rotations.  And thank goodness that we live in a super family friendly city, where there is always a place for a child to play.  Thankfully we live in a place where lots of spouses are holding down the fort while their other half spends countless hours at work.  I never really feel alone in my journey.  And if it weren't for family and friends, I would have lost my mind long ago.  They have truly kept me going and I'm blessed to have all of them in my life.

And so we SURVIVED.... another spring break, another day, another year

No comments:

Post a Comment